$100k - 120k
The **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. seeks an inspiring Executive Director to succeed our long-time leader by providing strategic direction, ensuring that our animal welfare and wildlife programs continue to grow in effectiveness, delivering sustainable financial support, and managing our human, financial and material resources effectively. We seek a visionary leader to continue our record of success in ensuring open access to shelter while caring for almost 4,000 companion animals each year without turning animals away or having long waiting lists. Our new leader will be supported by a committed and highly trained staff of professionals and over 2,000 volunteers. The Executive Director will report directly to the Board of Directors through its Chair. The Executive Director will lead a Senior Management Team consisting of the Shelter Management, Clinic Coordination, Humane Education, Fund Development, and Finance & Administration.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Executive Director
• Strategic Management
o Lead a process with the Board of Directors for updating the Strategic Plan and take responsibility for managing the organization according to the identified priorities, reporting results and making changes.
o Establish and maintain an effective organization and provide leadership to the Senior Management Team in managing daily operations while keeping a focus on key priorities necessary to carry-out the VBSPCA’s mission.
o Provide executive oversight of the organization’s Shelter, Clinic and Human Education programs, working through the program managers to ensure that objectives are met in a timely manner with measurable results.
o Develop annual business and operational plans, with performance targets, that are aligned with the organization’s strategic plan and annual budget.
• Fund Development:
o Responsible for all aspects of fund development - major donors, individual giving, grants, corporate sponsorships, foundations, United Way and special events – pursing diverse funding sources, setting goals and raising funds to support the organization’s goals and exceed its annual operating budget.
o Communicate the mission and priorities of the SPCA effectively and consistently to key supporters, make presentations to potential donors, and generate funds to support the organization’s mission.
o Provide leadership direction and support to the Development staff in analyzing fund development trends, employing best practices in fundraising, engaging the Board, and ensuring a broad and stable base of financial support.
• Community Engagement
o Serve as the primary face of the organization in the community by increasing the visibility and awareness of the VBSPCA, its mission and programs, and providing reasons and opportunities for the community to become meaningfully engaged with VBSPCA.
o Continually assess the organization’s role in the community and establish the VBSPCA as a thought leader on humane welfare issues.
o Provide leadership in developing and implementing a robust brand awareness, marketing, and public relations plan and oversee implementation of strategic communications initiatives.
• Organizational Leadership & Financial Management:
o Provide executive oversight of all internal functions; including but not limited to Shelter, Clinic and Human Education programs, human resources, financial management and administration, fund development and community relations.
o Ensure that organizational processes are best-practice, effective and aligned with community needs.
o Lead the preparation of annual budgets and financial reports to keep the Board of Directors informed about revenue and expenses, cash flows, unit costs of services provided, and the investment performance of the organization’s operating reserves.
o Continue to pursue the organization’s forward-funding goals and assess risks and rewards of potential applications of operating reserves, including the assessment of facilities and space requirements.
o Oversee internal policies, procedures and processes, and initiate changes as needed to maintain and enhance the organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
• Board Relations:
o Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to set strategic goals, review policies and procedures, and enhance human and financial resources to assure continued growth and success of the organization.
o Support Board leadership in ensuring that Board membership is viewed as a highly desirable opportunity to provide voluntary leadership in a governance function and that the Board is diverse and representative of both the VBSPCA’s mission and the communities we serve.
o Support Board leadership in maintaining the focus, structure and direction of the Board of Directors, by providing reports and other information in a timely manner, and by ensuring that Board committees are staffed and supported to meet the annual objectives set forth in the strategic plan.
The successful candidate will have an undergraduate degree in a related field with at least 5 years of senior management experience, with a minimum total of 10 years of relevant work experience. The ideal candidate will:
• have demonstrated experience in the strategic management of organizations, including senior leadership positions in nonprofit organizations, agencies or in operating units of large for-profit organizations;
• be an experienced, persuasive leader able to develop and communicate a vision of the future, set priorities and produce measurable long-term results;
• have the proven ability to respond to opportunities and challenges by adapting the organization and key leadership positions accordingly;
• have demonstrated an ability to lead successful fundraising efforts and to maintain beneficial relationships with major donors, community leaders, foundations and donor networks;
• be an exceptional communicator, motivator and leader of people capable of building and leading teams of professionals, engaging volunteers in meaningful work, and building strategic alliances with other nonprofits, community and national organizations;
• have in-depth experience in business planning, developing operating budgets, and managing nonprofit finances;
• be a strong advocate on public policy issues;
• have demonstrated the ability to work effectively with diverse leaders in the governance of nonprofit organizations;
• possess superior critical problem solving, strategic thinking and entrepreneurial skills; and
• be a compassionate, trustworthy leader who embodies positive ethical values.
The ideal candidate will be:
• A strategic leader with both long-term vision and the ability to sustain an effective organization;
• A leader experienced in nonprofit governance, either through voluntary service on nonprofit boards or through prior leadership roles reporting to nonprofit boards;
• An enthusiastic and successful fundraiser either through prior professional roles or related philanthropic engagement;
• A capable business planner and manager of nonprofit finances;
• An exceptional communicator, motivator and leader of people capable of building and leading teams of professionals, engaging volunteers in meaningful work, and building strategic alliances with other nonprofits, community and national organizations.
Complete package of benefits available. Information will be shared with selected candidates.
$100k - 120k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Send letter of interest with resume online to ****. Written submission of hardcopy materials is discouraged.
We request that telephone inquiries not be made.
Candidates may learn more about VBSPCA by visiting our website at ****PostedBy:
The Davis Group
Reference the job title and Bridgespan.org when applying for a job in addition to following all application instructions in the posting.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert
The Bridgespan Group is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Our Mission and Values
Board & Advisors
For the Media
Services & Expertise
Leading for Impact
Nonprofit Job Board
Children, Youth, and Families
Publications & Tools
Nonprofit Leadership, Careers, & Recruiting
Hiring Nonprofit Leaders
Professional & Career Development
Transition From For-profit to Nonprofit
Nonprofit Hiring Toolkit
Nonprofit Leadership Development Toolkit
Nonprofit Roles & Responsibilities
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Operating Officer
Children, Youth, and Families
Managing Through Tough Times
Overhead Costs Resource Center
The Knowledge Hopper
Measuring to Improve
What Works: Aligning Government, Nonprofits, and Philanthropy
Nonprofit Job Center
Find a Job
Create a Job Alert
View/Edit Job Alerts
Post a Job
Manage My Postings
Virginia Beach SPCA
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org