AVP Project Management - Regulatory Services Job
( Learn More )
4 Year Degree
AVP Project Management - Regulatory Services
Job ID 2013-24420 # Positions 1
Location US-VA-Virginia Beach
Search Category Health Care Operations
Type Regular Full-Time (30 hours) Posted Date 10/3/2013
Additional Locations ..
More information about this job:
In accordance with the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) and PMI standards, under general direction of either a Functional Area Manager or Company Executive, responsible for the management of a collection of projects and/or programs undertaken by an organization or division in a manner that ensures their alignment with the organization’s strategic objectives. Responsible for the coordinated management of multiple related projects, and ongoing operations, which are directed toward a common objective. Leads and directs high-priority projects, which often require considerable resources and high levels of functional integration. Responsible for coordinated management of a subset of the organization’s projects and their alignment to organizational strategic objectives. Responsible for all aspects of the programs under management over their entire life cycle (initiate, plan, execute, control, close). Works with constituent Program and Project Managers to monitor cost, schedule, and technical performance of component programs, projects and operations. Responsible for assembling the portfolio team, assigning individual responsibilities, identifying appropriate resources needed, and developing schedule to ensure timely completion of programs and projects under management. Takes programs and projects from original concept through final implementation. Interfaces with all areas affected by the project including end users, distributors, and vendors.
1. Direct and monitor overall performance of direct reports to include Project Manager, Project coordinators, and other functional specialists.
2. Manage the portfolio using established portfolio management processes in collaboration with stakeholders for the purpose of continuously reviewing, updating, and optimizing the portfolio and ensuring compliance with changing organizational strategies, goals and objectives.
3. Monitor the portfolio by reviewing key performance indicators in order to address performance issues and maintain alignment with the organization's strategic business goals.
4. Communicate the results of the portfolio selection decisions and prioritization to the stakeholders in order to ensure organizational alignment.
5. Establish relevant portfolio management processes (e.g., change management, risk management, issue management, resource management, quality management) consistent with the organization's existing processes in order to maintain portfolio viability.
6. Provide portfolio management performance reports in accordance with the portfolio management communication plan in order to support executive decision making.
7. Educate the organization about the portfolio management framework by providing for appropriate training in order to successfully implement portfolio management.
8. Prioritize the portfolio components using the portfolio components prioritization process in order to ensure optimum value, alignment, and a balanced portfolio.
9. Define the portfolio component prioritization process using appropriate criteria (e.g., dependencies, resource capacity and capability, technology) in order to sequence portfolio components.
10. Manage portfolio change in accordance with the change management plan to control scope, quality, schedule, cost, and contracts.
11. Address portfolio issues by identifying and selecting a course of action by taking into account the portfolio constraints and objectives in order to enable continued portfolio progress.
12. Motivate the team using appropriate tools and techniques in order to increase commitment to the portfolio objectives.
13. Execute program plans (quality, risk, communication, staffing, etc.) by using the tools identified in the planning phase and by auditing the results of their use in order to align the program outcomes with stakeholder expectations and standards.
14. Establish alliances with other departments and organizations by recognizing dependencies in order to assess potential partnership and commitment to the portfolio.
15. Obtain senior management approval for programs within the portfolio by presenting the program scope, high-level costs and benefits for the organization in order to receive authorization and/or funding to proceed to the next phases.
16. Document high-level risks, assumptions, and constraints using historical data and expert judgment in order to understand portfolio limitations.
17. Improve team performance by building team cohesiveness, leading, mentoring, training, and motivating in order to facilitate cooperation, ensure portfolio efficiency, and boost morale.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent.
- Masters Degree
Years and Type of Experience Required:
- 10-20 years Program/Project Management.
- 5 years leadership/managerial experience.
- Health care insurance industry experience.
- Business analysis and process improvement experience.
- MS Project, Outlook, PowerPoint and Visio experience.
- Survey tools experience, e.g. Survey Monkey.
Certifications or Licensures
- PMI PMP (Project Management Professional) or ability to obtain within first six – 12 months depending upon department requirements.
- PMI PMP (Program Management Professional).
- IIBA CBAP (Certified Business Analysis Professional) or Six Sigma Black Belt Certification.
Project Management - Expert
- Ability to coordinate and lead multiple related large, complex projects in accordance with Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) and Project Management Institute (PMI) standards. Solid understanding of process improvement and project management including tools and techniques, critical path method, program evaluation and review technique, resource balancing and cost estimating. Ability to clarify and interpret the relationships between a system and its component parts.
Industry Knowledge & Familiarity - Advanced
- Deep understanding of the healthcare industry and government insurance programs, e.g. Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP and LTC.
Computer Skills and Office Equipment - Advanced
- Ability to use software and hardware of a computer to complete certain moderately-complex to complex tasks. Able to use basic office equipment such as telephone, fax machine and copy machine. Working knowledge in a windows environment to include navigation skills using a mouse, keyboard and 10 key. Use of internet, familiarity with SharePoint sites. Ability to review and draft correspondence in email system and word processing systems.
- Ability to use project management and related software, e.g. MS Project, VISIO, SharePoint. Ability to use software for data analysis, reporting and sharing of information to problem solve. Ability to create and manipulate spreadsheets (i.e., data entry and format cells).
- Integrates and balances big-picture concerns with day-to-day activities.
- Conveys a thorough understanding of own area's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
- Evaluates and pursues initiatives, investments, and opportunities based on their fit with broader strategies.
- Stays abreast of key competitor actions and their implications or threats to the business.
Make Sound Decisions
- Focuses on important information without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail.
- Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues.
- Brings to bear the appropriate knowledge, information, and expertise in making decisions.
People Leadership Develop / Support Organizational Talent
- Identifies the qualifications required for successful job performance.
- Provides honest, helpful feedback to others on their performance.
- Helps others identify and prioritize their development objectives.
- Promotes sharing of expertise and a free flow of learning across the organization.
- Discourages 'we vs. they' thinking.
- Appropriately involves others in decisions and plans that affect them.
- Works to remove barriers to collaboration.
- Seeks to understand and address the concerns and interests of others with opposing viewpoints.
Results Leadership Show Drive and Initiative
- Does not easily give up in the face of unexpected obstacles.
- Sets high standards of performance for self and others.
- Puts in extra effort and work to accomplish critical or difficult tasks.
- Tackles tough challenges or problems quickly and directly.
- Conveys clear expectations for assignments.
- Delegates assignments to the lowest appropriate level.
- Monitors progress of others and redirects efforts when goals change or are not met.
- Holds people accountable for achieving their goals.
# Direct Reports: 2 - 20
Project Budget Range: $5 Million plus Project Team Size: 35 - 100
Project Duration: 1 – 24 months
Aggressive to Extremely Aggressive Timeline Project Risk: High
# of System Interfaces: Multiple
#of Geographical Regions: 2 Plus
# of Functional Disciplines/Stakeholders: Multiple
# of Sub-Projects: Multiple
Level of Innovation / Means to Achieve Goals: Primarily Existing to Full innovation
Project Scope Definition: Moderately Defined to Undefined
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to operate general office equipment including but not limited to: computer, phones and related media and information devices.
- Ability to communicate both in person and/or by telephone.
- Must be able to travel as needed and adhere to Amerigroup travel policies and procedures.
Website : http://www.wellpoint.com
With an unyielding commitment to meeting the needs of our diverse customers, we are guided by the following principles: Our Mission WellPoint's mission is to improve the lives of the people we serve and the health of our communities. Our Core Values * Customer First * Integrity * Personal Accountability for Excellence * One Company, One Team * Continuous Improvement