8 yrs required
NetApp is a special company with a unique vision and strong culture. We continue to grow at an accelerated rate despite a multi-billion dollar scale, and we are routinely recognized as a Great Place to Work all around the world (No. 6 in the U.S. this year). NetApp further is renowned for its innovation including being recognized by Fortune in its Fastest-Growing Companies ranking (#15 California / #72 Nationwide) (2012)); Forbes’ ”World’s Most Innovative Companies” (#51 (2012) and #34 (2011)); as one of the Top 300 US Patent Holders by Intellectual Property Owners Association (#136 (2011) and #170 (2010)) and for its “Quality Over Quantity” Patent Protection - Computer Peripherals and Storage (IEEE Spectrum) (#2 (2012) and #1 (2011)).
Our legal department is committed to the innovative spirit of NetApp, recognized as a top innovator for legal services. We seek to hire a Senior IP Attorney who will be part of our Worldwide Innovation Services team. This role reports directly to the Chief Intellectual Property Counsel and is responsible for providing a broad array of IP portfolio development and strategy services to in-house clients. Based on interest and skillset, this position also has an opportunity to support patent assertion and litigation matters, address open source and industry standards IP issues, as well as various other IP-related transactional deals. This role’s responsibilities also include managing legal matters handled by outside counsel. Strong leadership, lateral influence, team building, and negotiation skills are essential to succeed in this role. Our clients also are seeking an individual who is execution oriented and possesses ambition and a passion for excellence. The Company’s legal department is change and innovation oriented, and seeks to hire top-notch leaders around the world with deeply aligned values and a desire to win.
- Worked closely with NetApp technical thought leaders and develop a patent portfolio based on identifying, analyzing and anticipating global technological trends within the company’s ecosystem.
- Counsel on IP-related issues in IP- and tech-heavy contracts including IP licenses, third party agreements, and vendor supplier relationships.
- Management of external counsel on patent portfolio development and IP-related litigations.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, and trust, including in dealing with complex and sensitive matters
Job Requirements - Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong negotiation skills preferred.
- Strong collaborative skills with both internal team as well as IP colleagues throughout NetApp’s ecosystem.
- Ability to effectively present information to senior management.
- Demonstrated experience in IP-related matters, including IP-related portfolio development, IP licensing, offensive / defensive IP assertions, IP patent acquisitions, etc.
- Experience in contract law in the technology industry preferred, but not a requirement.
- Ability to positively influence behavior of multiple stakeholders, as well as to be able to successfully balance the interests of the customer with maintaining a good fiscal position for the company.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively; to identify and resolve legal issues; and possess knowledge of product, services and organizational structure.
- High level of integrity and professionalism.
Qualification and Experience:
- A minimum of 8 years of experience of relevant experience is required including prior in-house experience is preferred.
- Requires a law degree with admission to the state bar and patent bar (patent office registration number).
- Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, moderately complex technical tasks.
- A passion for evangelizing how IP can be used as a business tool a plus.
- Excellent written, communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong problem-solving and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and work effectively within a highly-matrixed organization with employees at all levels.
- Self-motivated with the ability to meet or exceed deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, and maintain flexibility in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to positively influence the behavior of multiple stakeholders, as well as the ability to successfully balance the interests of the customer with maintaining a good fiscal position for the Company
- Work in Sunnyvale (Corporate Headquarters): Near San Francisco, CA
United States 94102
Website : http://www.netapp.com